Self-Installation or Professional Home Alarm System Installation
For many of the leading home security companies in the industry today home alarm system installation has the option of DIY or professional installation. Security companies want to allow their customers the freedom to pay for the service they see as reasonable and for many homeowners DIY installation is an alluring option that suggests appealing cost saving. Of course many homeowners also choose not to do the installation themselves for varying reasons including the promise of higher quality installation. So the question becomes this, should you or should you not go with self-installation? In this article we’ll present some of the most common reasons for and against self-installation and professional installation.
When considering professional installation one must acknowledge that there are situations that make this less appealing than others. It is advisable to avoid professional companies that hire local subcontractors for your installation because you have no guarantee of training. BUT when you know your company is sending you a trained expert there are many reasons that professional installation is highly desirable.
- Knowledge: A professionally trained technician from an insurance company is going to have both book knowledge and practical knowledge of security systems. Having installed hundreds of systems most technicians understand exactly what it takes to implement all the right devices in the best places for your protection. They can also answer your questions and help you make decisions for your security.
- Time Savers: Professional installation is going to be must faster than a DIY installation, the technicians will know what they’re doing and can do it right the first time. Which will save you time and money.
- Less Chance of False Alarm: With professional installation and all the pieces properly hooked up your system is way less likely to bother you with false alarms caused by pets or shorts in the system.
- Someone To Hold Accountable: If something goes wrong with your security system, having it installed by a professional means that you have someone you can hold accountable until the problem is fixed and the system is back online.
While professional installation is perfect for security in the system, it’s not the best when it comes to customer integration. Many clients of security companies feel that they don’t even figure out the program well enough, but let’s be honest, that’s just an excuse you should always take the time to learn everything you can about your security system. DIY Installation is a great way to familiarize yourself as well as the cause of other bonuses.
- Saving Money: That’s what you want isn’t it! And it’s totally true, you’re going to save money because you don’t need to pay a technician for their time. Also you can often supplement your system with additional security devices.
- Expansion: Over time DIY systems are easier for many homeowners to expand to fit their growing needs.
- Knowledge/Familiarity: As mentioned above when you install your home security system you’re going to appreciate all the pieces more. You’ll understand what is protecting you and probably how to troubleshoot it or reset and utilize it better.
In the end there are valuable reasons for both DIY and professional installation, you simply have to decide what is the most important to you. Do you desperately need to save a few dollars or do you need to be sure that your system is properly hooked up and able to protect you?